Sunday, October 4, 2009

Saturday

Saturday morning was spent in the ER with Zoey. She got 2nd degree burns on her jaw, shoulder and forearm. It was a scary terrifying couple of hours but she'll be fine. We were getting ready to take a drive through West Virginia and Josh had put my coffee in the thermos and the strap of it was hanging down and the cap wasn't on it yet. Zoey decided to pull herself up and grab it, it came crashing down on her. So scalding hot coffee soaked her. Josh rinsed her off the best he could. I grabbed and pulled her clothes off and got a cool washcloth (she HATED that), called my mom and told that it was just red she said to watch and if it blisters take her in. One minute later I noticed she was peeling skin, so a blister had formed then popped. I called my mom again she said to take her in and get her checked. At that point all I could see was mostly red and some peeled skin. When we got there we were sent immediatley to the back (so I knew it was kinda bad) and the nurses (like 5 of them) were surrounding us and I finally got a real good look at Zoey and it was bad she had alot of bubbles along her skin I couldn't help but start crying. I felt so helpless. Zoey was just screaming, she hurt so bad. Nothing I did could do would calm her down. We were lucky though, I know your thinking how could we have been lucky? Well when we first got there Zoey's face was beet red so the doctor thought she had burned her face as well. And they don't like those. She would of been sent to the Children's hospital in DC were they know how to treat burns. Which was the only hospital within the whole DC area that could. But once the drugs kicked in for Zoey and she was calm and in no pain there were no burns on her face, well some first degree on her forehead. So she didn't have to go there. After a couple of hours in the ER we were able to go home. So yes I think we were really lucky that as bad as it was we know it could of been a whole lot worse. We need to follow up with the DC burn clinic on Monday. She looks SOOOOO much better this morning. She's herself. I'm still a little shaken and I still tear up thinking about it.




Caution!!!! These photos may be to graphic for the younger readers!!!!!






6 comments:

DANI KYNASTON said...

My heart is breaking!!! Poor ZoeZoe!!!!! Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Do you need us to watch Ginger on Monday? Do you need to come hang out and be comforted? We love you all so much. We are so sorry that this had to happen.

Curtis and Deedra said...

wow, that would be terrifying for any mother. I feel so bad for all of you. My son burned his hand last year but it was nothing compared to what happened with you. I hope she heals up quickly.

Ginger said...

I am so sorry this happened. It made me cry as well. I love you so much and can't stand that this precious little girl has to go through this. You and Zoe are in our prayers and I am praying that this will be brief with no lasting scars. I am expecially sensitive to burns having grown up with a mother who suffered so much with burns. I know how hard it can be. Our prayers will be constant until she recovers. We love you.

Andrea said...

Ouch, AManda! I'm so glad children are so resilient. My son, Jared fell on top of some coals in the firepit this summer while camping, second degree burn on his arm. I think it hurt me more than him and it did heal very nicely and quickly.

Hope Zoe is all better soon!

The Northwest Bunch said...

Glad to see that everything turned out all right. Your family is in our prayers!

sherry said...

Holy cow, poor little thing! Good thing the little ones are so resilient and heal so well, but it must have been traumatizing! (more for you than her, as she won't even remember it) I'm glad she is doing better. Hopefully she has some good painkillers! Ouch!