Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Making Friends

I never knew how hard it was to make friends, in Idaho I already had some, my family and friends I'd had since high school. I didn't realize how lucky I truly was until I moved to Virginia and had to start all over. It's difficult when your an adult to put yourself out there and try to let your awkwardness fade away. It's getting better for me. Going to church has helped since there are many ladies there around my age and have kids around Gingers age. Also they have a wonderful playgroup and have warmly welcomed me and Ginger into it and we've been having a blast. And there is this one family who lived below us in corporate housing, moved here from Idaho also and have kids Ginger age and they are only a few years older than us. It's still a little weird to talk to them only cuz' we don't know each other and I don't know how I should act in front of people I don't know (I'm scared I may scare them off until they really get to know me) but I really think we could be good friends (at home and to my family I call her my 'very best friend but she doesn't know it yet'), her hubby also works at Micron (hence the move here) so him and Josh would be able to talk shop (since I just tend to tune him out I don't know the technical jargon). It's going to take some time till I find that true friend here, but for now it's been kinda fun getting to know the ladies of the church.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

We just had some friends invite us over for dessert the other night. We ended up talking and laughing for a few hours. It was really fun, and after we left, her husband asked, "Do you think it went all right?" Funny, you don't think of other people being as nervous as you!

Try inviting your "new best friend but she doesn't know it yet" over for dessert one night. I'm sure she'll appreciate it, and Josh will get a chance to talk shop.

Sounds like you're doing so well, though! Enjoy your adventure.

Vidal's Nest said...

Those kids play groups can be a life saver!
I am so insecure it takes me awhile to make friends. I always have appreciated the ones who went out of the way to make the effort since I was too wimpy to. So..Take Shelli's advice and invite them over for dessert, dinner, games whatever. They will appriciate it too!
I think you are doing amazing making this place feel like a home for you. Good for you.